The Coalition for Smarter Growth is the leading organization in the Washington DC region dedicated to making the case for smart growth. Our mission is to promote walkable, inclusive, and transit-oriented communities, and the land use and transportation policies needed to make those communities flourish. Read more about our organization at smartergrowth.net.
The Fundraising and Operations Assistant is a position with lots of opportunity for growth within the organization. The ideal candidate will be a critical communications, administrative, and development team member to support CSG’s day-to-day work. This position will directly support our Deputy Director and Communications Manager in maintaining our database, supporting fundraising operations, and managing daily office operations.
Like all of our positions, at its core, this job involves relationship building and promotion of the sustainability and equity benefits of smart growth. Since we are a small team with many interchangeable roles, interested candidates will have the opportunity to be involved in some of our policy and outreach work as well, though that is not required.
Job activities include:
- Taking ownership of our supporter database (we use the Salsa CRM) to ensure that records are accurate, complete, up-to-date, and de-duplicated
- Processing donations and managing and executing donation acknowledgment processes
- Bookkeeping tasks including tracking and reconciling bills and invoices
- Supporting the Deputy Director in corporate and foundation fundraising, including soliciting sponsorships for our annual award reception, and maintaining and expanding the Smart Growth Business Council, a group of the most engaged regional business supporters.
- Working closely with other members of the fundraising and communications team to plan and execute events, including walking tours, fundraisers, forums, and more
- Other duties such as troubleshooting office equipment including the copier, answering the phone, and ordering office supplies
- There will be a continuous opportunity for the ideal candidate to take on additional responsibilities within the organization, including, but not limited to events execution, fundraising activities, or additional financial management and budgetary responsibilities.
- Positive, self-starter attitude
- Proactive, “yes I can” approach to spotting and solving problems while keeping an eye out for opportunities to improve our office systems
- Bordering-on-obsessive attention to detail
- Technological fluency. CSG uses Google Suite office tools (Gmail, Calendar Drive, etc.) and Microsoft Office and supports both PC and Mac.
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Flexibility to adjust to a busy, dynamic office
- Ability to prioritize and balance many tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to our mission outlined at www.smartergrowth.net
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a good sense of humor
- Ability to make at least a one-year commitment and preferably two
- At least 1-2 years’ professional experience preferred. Entry level candidates with impressive intern/fellowship credentials are encouraged to apply
- Those seeking to work in the smart growth field, land use and transportation planning or general non-profit field are encouraged to apply to gain familiarity with the field.
- Nontraditional candidates are also encouraged to apply.
CSG staff members are hard-working, dedicated people who enjoy a casual work environment, while also representing the organization with the utmost professionalism. Working for CSG, you’ll join a team that is committed to improving the Washington region through smart growth advocacy, education, and outreach. Colleagues are committed, passionate, inclusive and fun-loving.
Employment Benefits & Details
- Expected salary for qualified candidates is in the mid-$30s with the exact level dependent on experience and performance-based raises negotiable at the end of each year
- Full-time employment
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- A flexible schedule
- Comprehensive vacation, sick, and personal leave
- 403(b) retirement program with employer match after one year of employment.
The position is based in the CSG office, conveniently located three blocks from Union Station in DC, working with five other full-time staff members and a revolving cast of volunteer interns and fellows. Periodic evening and weekend work is required and met with reasonable flexibility during the week.
CSG is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Fundraising and Operations Assistant” in the subject line. In your application materials, please help us understand how you would contribute to the diversity of CSG staff, and let us know where you learned about the position. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.