The Coalition for Smarter Growth is seeking volunteer interns to work with and learn from our small and committed staff this spring, starting mid-January through May. No salary, alas – just valuable, stimulating, impactful volunteer work, and a crash course in smart growth policy, advocacy, communications, and coalition building. Our small staff means our volunteer interns become a valuable part of the team in a fast-paced office. Our spring internships are a minimum of 15 hours/week, with flexible scheduling.
This spring, we are looking for two interns to join our team!
Our volunteer internships are tailored to the abilities and skills of each individual (from undergraduate to new professional), taking into account our organizational needs at a given time. Depending on their skills and interests, our volunteer interns may:
- Research, draft, and fact-check reports, papers, and public testimony
- Write and post items for our digital advocacy campaigns, including website content, blog posts, and email blasts
- Help organize and manage our signature educational program, the Walking Tours & Forums Series
- Work with our staff on on-the-ground community organizing by attending public meetings, talking to community groups, and reaching out to public officials
- Collect and analyze metrics on our communications and advocacy campaigns
- Research and analyze planning processes throughout our service area
Ideal candidates possess several of the following qualities:
- Strong writing skills and willingness to work with staff mentor to proactively hone those skills
- Independent worker and problem solver, proactive in completing assignments (we like to say you get as much out of your internship with us as you’re willing to put in!)
- Graceful under pressure, and able to prioritize multiple competing projects (under guidance of staff mentor)
- Basic knowledge, understanding of, and interest in smart growth or related issues (urbanism, transportation, affordable housing, urban planning, etc.)
- Good organizational ambassador to outside organizations and the public, understanding of how to make a good impression in meetings and at events
- Experience with WordPress/HTML, policy analysis, data analysis, community organizing, event planning, and/or fundraising a strong plus.
The Coalition for Smarter Growth is located at 316 F Street NE, near Union Station. To apply, please send a cover letter detailing your interest in working with us, a short writing sample, and a resume to email@example.com.